A lot of people shy away from avocados because of their high fat and caloric content, but most don’t realize that the fat is actually good (monounsaturated) fat! Avocados are also packed with other nutrients and heart-healthy compounds that make them an incredibly nutritious food.
- In half a medium-sized avocado there are approximately 150 calories
- There are ~15g fat in half a medium avocado, but again the fat is the good kind of fat! Monounsaturated fats help lower cholesterol levels, which in turn reduces the risk of heart problems.
- There are ~5g of fibre in half a medium avocado. Fibre helps breakdown the carbs in your body making you feel full longer, and let me tell you, they are not kidding about this. Avocados are VERY filling! Just a little bit goes a long way!
- One cup of avocado also provides a quarter of your recommended daily intake of folate, which helps cut the risk of birth defects.
- Avocados are also overflowing with a variety of vitamins and minerals!
How to pick a ripe avocado
I usually just squeeze the avocados to see if they’re ripe (should be firm but yield to gentle pressure), but I found this little infographic that shows another way to tell if they’re ripe. Cool!
Well now that I know how to pick an avocado, how do I eat it?
Avocados are one of those super versatile foods. You can pretty much put them in anything or even just eat them on their own! I personally love putting them in my salads or making guacamole.
How do you like to eat your avocados?
Check out this Avocado Chocolate Pudding – it is incredible! So rich, creamy and chocolatey!
Did You Know?
Avocados are actually a fruit!