In the movie Hungry For Change, they talked for a few minutes about juicing (making fresh juice from fruits and vegetables). I had heard of juicing before but never really thought anything more of it. Those few minutes of juicing talk really sparked my interest this time and led me to watch another movie called Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead.
Australian Joe Cross arrives in the USA, overweight, suffering from a chronic disease and feeling like he has one foot in the grave. With his doctors unable to help him any further, Joe decides to take matters into his own hands to turn his health around. He figures that if your body can heal itself on the outside (e.g. when you cut yourself), it should be able to heal itself on the inside too. His plan? Eat nothing but freshly made juice for 60 days.
The idea behind juicing is that it takes a significantly greater number of fruits & veggies to make a glass of juice, compared to the amount you could eat. As such, juicing allows you to “supercharge” your nutrient intake from the massive amounts of fruits & veggies it takes to make the juice.
Six months after finishing his fast, Joe lost a total of 90lbs (41kg). His new friend Phil lost even more!
Throughout his 60 day journey, Joe meets hundreds of people – some totally oblivious to the power of fruits and vegetables, some unwilling to even consider adding them to their diet and others who had their eyes opened to this lifestyle change.
All the “rebooters” you meet throughout the movie experienced the following outcomes from their juice fast:
- Weight loss
- Increased energy
- Better focus
- Better sleep
- Normalization of blood pressure
- Decrease in triglycerides (fat)
This movie is not purely about weight loss, or juicing, it is about health. To me it sends three powerful messages:
- It reinforces how important a healthy lifestyle really is
- It shows how healing good food can be
- It also shows that it absolutely IS possible to make a drastic lifestyle change and turn your health around!
This movie is completely and utterly inspiring in every way possible. I really can’t say enough good things about it. It is a definite must-see!
Interesting tidbits from the movie:
- “Focus on your HEALTH, not your WEALTH!”
- “Permanent results only come from a permanent change in diet and lifestyle. You don’t get permanently well unless you permanently change the way you live.”
- “All plants foods are beneficial and essential for human health, everything from building muscle to immune function”
- “70% of all disease in America is a result of our lifestyle choices.”
- “One thing I’m totally stunned by is just how much energy I have by just drinking juice”
- “Most Americans are not properly informed and therefore commit suicide with food”
- “After my fast, I feel like I’m 21 years old again!”