Back in December I met a man who had just been diagnosed with a form of chemical toxicity. Not from ingesting pesticides or cleaners or anything like that, but from pop. Yes pop, as in soda/soft drinks/Coke/Pepsi/whatever you want to call it. How is that possible you ask? From a certain ingredient called aspartame.
Aspartame is a chemical additive, commonly known as NutraSweet or Equal. It can be found in over 4000 food products worldwide and is one of the most debated food additives in the history of the FDA. How is it that roaches, ants, cats, dogs or even house flies won’t eat it, yet the FDA says it is safe for human consumption?!? Especially when you consider the side effects of aspartame:
- Muscle spasms
- Heart palpitations
- Joint pain
- Weight gain
- Tachycardia (heart racing)
- Difficulty breathing
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ears)
- Blurred vision
- Hearing loss
- Memory loss
- The list just goes on!
I saw this man just a few days after he cut out aspartame from his diet and I’ll be honest, he did not look well. It was very evident that the aspartame had seriously harmed his body. A friend of mine suffered heart palpitations for several months and I absolutely believe it was from his go-to beverage – Coke.
While there is research that says aspartame is only harmful in excess amounts, after hearing this man’s story and reading all the side effects of aspartame consumption, in my eyes no amount of aspartame is safe to consume!!
Soft drinks are certainly a large contributor of aspartame in our diets, but they are not the only source. Where else is aspartame hiding?
- Jello and other gelatins
- Baked goods
- Hot chocolate
- and more!
I think this man’s story is a big reality check on just how dangerous aspartame is and also sends a great message about drinking pop. Soft drinks are an all too common staple in most households. I’ve met people who drink only pop and never any water or milk, and I know other people who rely on their one bottle of Pepsi a day. Soft drinks are basically just flavoured chemicals. They are poison!
I strongly urge you to omit any soft drinks from your diet and choose a healthier alternative your body loves and craves – water! (Read how important drinking water is here!)
If you are having a hard time believing just how harmful pop can be, check out these facts on water vs. Coke. Did you know Coke can dissolve a nail? And people drink this stuff? YIKES!